Help converting a file
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Is a conversion of a file with your service really free?
- What happens to my files I uploaded? Are they safe?
- The conversion of my file failed. What's wrong?
- Do you obtain the legal right of my file when I use your service?
- The converter lets me suddenly download a zip file
- I'm experiencing problems during the upload of a file
- I can't access the converted file anymore I have downloaded before
- What are QRcodes for and how can they be used to transfer a download link to my mobile phone?
- How can I make sure to get the emails you send me
- I have subscribed to your premium service. How can I cancel the subscription?
Yes, our service is completely free. Really.
We understand the concerns about your privacy. These are the steps we take to protect your files.
- All files you upload are deleted automatically after 24 hours or after 10 downloads, whichever comes first.
- In addition, you also have the option to delete the file instantly on our server after you have downloaded it.
- There is no backup made of user files.
- The contents of the files are not monitored without permission of the uploader. A manual review of all files is not possible anyway due to the high amount of files we process each day.
- The download of your file can only be made via the unique, non guessable download URL you got from us.
- You keep the copyright and ownership of the source file and the converted file.
We support so many source formats that there can be a lot of reasons why the conversion has failed. For example:
- The source file is corrupt.
- The source file has been encrypted with Digital Rights Management (DRM) of the owner.
- Some codecs inside a file format container that is normally working can't be converted.
- The converter does not recognize the source format at all.
- If you have entered an URL (like http://www.example.tld/test.php) to submit us your file you want to convert, be sure to provide the direct link to the image/music/document file, not to the website itself. Right click on the link to the file inside of the website, try to copy the direct URL and paste it into one of our converter.
- The download link you provided is not accessible by the converter. Possible reasons could be that the file is not available for direct download due to copyright issue or you need to login. You can then try to download the source file directly to computer and upload it from there to our converter.
If you feel this is an error, don't hesitate to write at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are constantly trying to enhance our converter and need your input.
Absolutely not. We do not intend to have the legal right on your files. In addition, all user files are deleted after a short period of time.
If the conversion process outputs more than one file (e.g. you have converted a PSD file with layers to JPEG), all created files will be compressed into one file and offered in one download. You can uncompress this file e.g. with 7 ZIP.
- The file size limit to upload a file and convert it for free is set to 100 Megabyte. In order to be able to upload bigger files, please take a look at our premium services.
- The connection between your computer and our servers is temporarily unstable. Please try it again later or from a different network or computer.
- The upload of large files is blocked by a proxy of your organisation/provider.
- Sometimes, only the upload progress bar gets stuck, but the file has been fully uploaded and converted. You can verify this when you register for free and look at the conversion history on your user dashboard.
- Downloads are normally much faster from home than uploads due to technical limitations. Please consider that an upload may take a loooong time. Uploads taking longer than two hours are not possible.
The link we provide to you for downloading the converted file is valid for 24 hours or 10 downloads, whichever comes first.
QRcodes are two dimensional barcodes containing various information. On online-convert.com they contain the direct download link to your converted file.
Lets assume that you have converted a file with our online file converter for your mobile phone on your desktop computer. How do you get the converted file to you phone? It's simple, just make a photo with your mobile phone from the individual QRcode you see on our successful download page. The barcode is then converted to the direct download link. With this link you can directly download the converted file from our servers to your mobile phone. More information can be found in the following tutorial: How to copy a video file and MP3 to your mobile phone
If your mobile phone does not understand QRcodes yet, you can download here the QRcode reader.
To prevent spam emails in the users inbox, email providers have developed different algorithms to classify an email as spam or ham. Normally, emails from online-convert.com are not classified as spam, because we never send unwanted emails. But some email providers have algorithms that seem to need some more fine tuning.
To be sure that emails from us get straight to your inbox, you need to whitelist "online-convert.com" before we send an email to you. To do so, go to your email account and add us to your contacts, contact list, whitelist, create a filter or whatever it is called by your email provider. Of course you can always revert this whenever you decide.
- Click Settings -> Filters Tab -> Create A New Filter
- Insert @online-convert.com to the "From" field and click "Next Step"
- Choose "Never send it to Spam" and click "Create Filter"
- Click Options -> More Options -> Preventing Junk e-mail
- Click Safe and Blocked senders -> Safe Senders
- Insert @online-convert.com into the "Sender or domain to mark as safe" field
- Click "Add to list"
- Click Options -> Mail Options -> Filters
- Click Add Filter
- Choose a Name for the Filter
- Select "Contains" for the "Sender" field
- Insert @online-convert.com into the "Sender" field
- Select "Inbox" in the "Move the Message to" field
- Click Save Changes
There are similar options when you use other email providers.
If you are using Boxbe, look in your Wait List Folder and add our E-Mail address manually to your Guest List. Our automated system will refuse any E-Mail that is coming from Boxbe requesting a manual approval.
Any E-Mail service that sends us an E-Mail requesting a manual approval will be ignored by our automated system. You need to whitelist us before in their system. Please consult their service for more help. premium services for users that need additional features.
You can cancel your premium service subscription anytime using Paypal:
- Login to your PayPal account
- Click on the "Profile" tab you find in the menu bar
- Click on "My money"
- Choose "My preapproved payments" by clicking on "Update"
- You can now select the subscription you want to cancel
If you have any problems canceling your subscription with us, please let us know and we will take care of it.