What is a STP file
STP files contain three-dimensional image information and are thus considered 3D assembly files. They are supported by a variety of (CAD) programs. The 3D image contains all kinds of information about 3D objects saved in the file. They are saved in a specific format, the “Standard for the Exchange of Product Data” – short STEP – format. The main usage of STP files is the transfer of 3D graphics between CAD systems. Especially the manufacturing industry uses these files for the design and pricing of molds and manufactured parts.
The data inside the STP file follows the STEP Application Protocols ISO 10303-2xx. It’s saved in an ASCII format that’s purely text-based. The very same file format can also be found using the STEP file format extension. However, these are less common than STP files.
Here's a small, but not exhaustive list of programs that can open STP documents:
- Autodesk Fusion (Windows & Mac, iOS, Android & Windows Phone)
- CADSoftTools ABViewer (Windows)
- Dassault Systemes CATIA (Windows & Linux)
- eMachineShop Free Online STEP File Viewer (Web)
- FreeCAD (Windows, Mac & Linux)
- ideaMK STP Viewer (Windows)
- IMSI TurboCAD Pro (Windows & Mac)
- LKSoft IDA-STEP (Windows & Linux)
- Okino Computer Graphics PolyTrans (Windows)
- ShareCAD.org (Web)
- Wikifactory (Web)