What is a 3DS file
The Autodesk 3D studio uses files with the 3DS extension. It contains all important information about the 3D object like lighting, mesh, material, camera and animation. While 3DS files have been said to be replaced by the MAX file format, the format is still widely used for 3D drawings and objects.
Contained in the 3DS file are material attributes and bitmap references as well as mesh and smoothing group data. All information about camera location and lighting and configurations of the viewport are contained in the 3DS file as well. Furthermore, all information about the objects animation are part of the 3DS file.
Here's a small, but not exhaustive list of programs that can open 3DS documents:
- Adobe Photoshop (Windows & Mac)
- Autodesk 3ds Max (Windows)
- CADSoftTools ABViewer (Windows)
- Cheetah3D (Mac)
- GLC_Player (Windows, Mac & Linux)
- IMSI TurboCAD Deluxe (Windows & Mac)
- MAXON Cinema 4D (Windows & Mac)
- MeshLab (Windows & Mac)
- pmG messiahStudio (Windows & Mac)
- Trimble SketchUp (Windows & Mac)